Sunday, October 12, 2008

Grizzly Update

Well as many of you know, our sweet little Grizzly was run over by a car two weeks ago. My sweet friend Rachel took Grizz and her dog, Pixie, up to their favorite park to play. They were having a grand old time just running, wrestling and chasing rabbits. They were having so much fun, in fact, that they ran themselves right into oncoming traffic. A small sedan went right over the top of both Grizzly and Pixie, but luckily Pixie walked away unharmed. Grizz on the other hand sustained very serious internal injuries and a fracured femur. (when I say fractured I mean it was snapped in half and a piece of bone was protruding from the skin) YUCK!
We took Grizzly to the closest Vet office we could find and there they told us that he would need surgery on his interval injuries immeadiately or he would die. They told us the approximate cost and gave us a minute to discuss whether we wanted to do the surgeries or put him to sleep. Kenny said "There is NOTHING to discuss, we will do whatever it takes." What a sweety!
So at that point they transfered us up to the Cottonwood animal hospital in SLC, where a team of surgeons were awaiting us :) That was a long, scary ride. Grizzly's temperature was dangerously low from the state of shock that he was in. We had to put him down next to the vent and crank the heat up 100%. Then every so often I'd have to check on him and make sure he was still alive. Needless to say, I was a complete wreck at this point.
When we arrived the Vet, Dr. Woodworth (who I could hug and kiss everytime I see him because he was so warm and fuzzy), warned us of the very high probability that Grizz wouldn't make it through the surgery. He was so unstable at that point and anesthesia is extremely hard on little dogs. He told us that the last time he was in this exact situation, the dog passed away as soon as the medication hit his bloodstream. We then had to say our goodbyes to Grizzly, hoping that the next time we saw him he would still be alive. Needless to say, I am balling right now just thinking about it again.
So they sent us home, promising that they would call with any updates. I kind of wish we could have a recording of the two of us on that ride home. We were praying over and over and I was basically hyperventilating...Not a joke, that my face and fingers started tingeling from lack of O2. And it wasn't until this point that Kenny FINALLY let out a little bit of his emotions. That was a huge step for big bad Ken :) We were a completely out of controll! We can actually laugh about it now!
So I probably called the hospital ten time during G's surgery. Finally at about 1:30 in the morning Dr. W called to tell us that our sweet pup had survived the operation. He said that when he first opened G up he thought to himself "Oh no! There is no way I am going to be able to put him back together." He said it was the worst diaphram hernia he had ever seen. He continued by telling us that as he started working things just seemed to come together perfectly, and he was very pleased with the end result. I have no doubt that this was an answer to our prayers.
We were so relieved at this point but we had another scare when it took the G-man 5 hours to wake up from the anesthesia!! There were points when we thought he might not wake up at all. BUT HE DID! And of course we were thrilled that another prayer had been answered.
Because G had such a hard time with the anesthesia, the Dr's decided to wait three days before they would repair his femur fracture. This was a long three days! We basically lived at the hospital, only going home for an occasional shower and sleep.
On Monday they repaired his leg with four pins. The repair went well and he handled the anesthesia much better this time around. They let us take him home the next day!!!
It is so great to have him home with us again. He hobbles around, sleeps a TON, and gets LOTS of LOVE and attention from his mom and dad:)
This was one of the scariest most emotional things that we have gone through together. It has made us really think about how attatched we have allowed ourselves to get to a silly little pet. I tell everyone that I KNOW how ridiculous it is to love a dog this much, but I JUST CANNOT HELP IT!!! We feel so blessed to still have Grizz in our lives. Thanks for all the phone calls, visits, thoughts, and prayers for us. We have such great friends and family.
I better end this before it sounds like a post straight from :) Here are some pics from the week from H..E..Double

Chillin with Grizz outside the hospital. This was awaiting his fermur repair. So beware that his leg looks freak nasty!

Banged up and bruised:(

Were our car lived for five days stright!

This all happened just hours before I was so start our annual GIRLS WEEKEND, with my mom and sisters. So sad that I missed all the fun. But they were sweet enough to stop and visit Grizz.

His home away from home.

Our backs were dead by the end of all this :)

like I said...LOTS AND LOTS of loves!


Marnae said...

Kenz that is so scary and sad. I am so glad Griz is okay. Poor little thing the pictures made me cry. It is not weird to feel deep love and joy towards any of God's creations. It just proves what great people you and Kenny are. Pets become family members and friends and babies. Love is never wasted when it is freely given. I am so happy that Grizzly made it.

Sorensen Duo said...

Johnson Family, We are so sorry for all that you have been through. Dogs are more than just pets they are part of the family. I hope grizz continues to get feeling better and that you guys are doing good. Let us know if you need anything!

jes forrey said...

Kenz...Thats so sad... I'm glad he's ok!!! We all know how hard it can be loosing a dog (a part of the family) We will keep you guys in our prayers so he will continue to recover well :)

Mel said...

I dont think you are silly at all. You guys are so great. I was so happy to see you the other day. It has been way too long since we have hung out. I am so happy that Grizzly is ok. I was really worried when I heard what had happened. I am glad you two are ok too. I know it must have been really hard.

Seth and Abbie Ollerton said...

We are so glad that everything turned out well! We hope to see you soon!

Tyler and Emily said...

OH MY GOSH. I can not believe this! I totally cried reading this. I am so glad that Grizz is home and ok!!

Jaime Stephens said...

That is so sad I am glad everything has gone ok hope Griz gets better soon!

Beard Family said...

Hey McKenzie. I found your blog through Brittney's - hope you don't mind! We're totally attached to our dog too, so I can't imagine how scary that was. I'm so glad Grizz is okay. I just set up a blog if you ever feel like looking at it -

Lynzi and Sean said...

I am so sorry! poor Griz. I am so glad it all worked out....we know exactly how attached you can get to them! I hope he gets better soon!!

Jaime said...

Hi, I was just passing through from an another blog but had to stop and comment on your sweet little dog. That is the sadest picture!! So sorry, hope he is alright.

The Bell Fam said...

Oh, Mac, that is horrible. I am soooo sorry for what a nightmare you guys have been through. I am glad that Griz is going to be okay. Poor little guy. Hope all is well with his recovery.

Morris Family said...

Poor Griz! He's such a good fighter! I'm so happy that he made it and is on the up and up. Poor Kenz and Kenney too! Please let me know if you guys need anything. We love you guys so much. Sorry I crashed our fun night the other night (being under the weather) RETRY! Anytime.
XOXOXOXOXO For Griz from Murphy

Murray Family said...

Oh my word, poor little guy! I'm so glad he made it. How scary for you guys. He is such an adorable dog!